Friday, September 12, 2008

Final Thoughts


Macau

So my tour with Sound of Music is almost over and my constant paycheck is coming to an end. I have to say, that regardless of all the bitching and adjusting I have done in this blog I have truly had an amazing experience here in China. I have had the opportunity to see some of the coolest things both in everyday life and sightseeing China that most American’s will never in there life see. I was able to travel half way around the world, adapt to entirely different eating habits, customs and ways of life, and uproot myself from basic comforts I am use to in the western world.

Its funny how in hindsight you allow yourself a better perspective on the experience that you have had. There are a few terms I have complied that I never want to hear again in my life…

1. “We only have hot water in this hotel. No cold.”
2. “The refrigerator is not suppose to be cold. It is suppose to be room temperature to keep food fresh”
3. “McDonald’s, who wants McDonald's !!”
4. “If the “Do Not Disturb” sign is on my door and the “Do Not Disturb” light on the wall does not already tell you. NO I DO NOT WANT MY ROOM CLEANED!!!”
5. “Looks like it is intestines and bones again for dinner”
6. “Just a moment please” –Which my coworkers and I have determined means a TOTAL understanding that anything can happen. It negates service or ability to understand what it is you want. And can translate into an hour of waiting.
7. “It seems there is a problem”
8. “Due to the Olympics, your plans have been changed”
9. “There is nothing we can do about the unplanned waterfall in your room”
10. "Can someone translate here. I got squiggle, squiggle, @ symbol, a boat, number sign, squiggle" "Anyone know Chinese!?!?!?"

Regardless of the fun I can make of the Chinese culture, the Chinese really are a force to be reckoned with. In fact they could be the next world power. As it appears from my experiences, they can accomplish anything. However, they like to have full group consensus on what they are doing. So if one of them raises a problem, it could turn into a 2 hour discussion, but at some point the job will get down.

This experience has taught me patience to no extent. Sometimes you just want to throw something because working with the Chinese can be so frustrating, but readjusting your way of thinking and taking a deep breath has pulled me through a lot of stressful situations.
Who needs a vacation? I do, i do!!!

No comments: