Monday, September 15, 2008

Work is done, and it is vacation time!!!


We spent 2 hours flying to Bangkok(the airport's weighter wasn't working and i really don't know if this was a joke or not),
1 hour flying to Chang Mai,
and took a taxi to our hotel called the Paresol Inn “A Discount Hotel with Style”. How can you not stay in this place!!! I don’t know much about the style of the hotel, but it is 12 bucks a night. 12 bucks!!! And it is a clean place with no bugs (so far). We checked in and found that our hotel is in the heart of EVERYTHING.

So Chang Mai is a good size town in the heart of a lot of mountains. The second we flew into Chang Mai I was surrounded with nothing but blue skies and fresh clean mountain air. It is beautiful!!! It seems to be highly in habited by Australians and Europeans as both a tourist destination and retirement area. (And by retirement I mean 45… swear to god, you could retire here when you are in your 40’s) We asked a guy how much a house is here, and he says “You can get a 5 bedroom mansion with land for 1.5 million Baht”.

Pause…I know I know. New country you need exchange amounts. 32 baht is 1 US dollar. `So 1.5 million baht is roughly 40,000 US.

In addition to a lot of foreigners, I would say the language ratio is about 50 Thai/50 English. Another cool thing is that it seems to be a hub for backpackers. So you see a lot of people just walking through the city with huge backpacks on. And my favorite, there are no McDonald’s!!!! I swear I will never eat McDonald’s again.

So after we checked into the hotel we wondered out around the hotel. We couldn’t have picked a more centralized location for site seeing. The first thing we run into as we wonder out of the hotel, right next door, we see an extremely decorated and opened up Buddihist monostary. We walk in and take a look around, and from that moment I realized I was in heaven. I mean I must have taken 50 pictures just of this place.

We then head over to 2 sightseeing, adventure travel stores and talk to them about what it is we want to see while we are in Chang Mai. (Nope, you get no spoilers) In addition to that, there are tons of shopping stores, restaurants, bars, bar street, the river, the “Night Bazaar” just to name a few things.

We then headed to the “Night Bazaar” which is a street market of about 2000 stalls that covers over 10-20 city blocks that happens every single night. DVDs, wood carving, light covers, bed spreads, silk, jewelry, clothing, purses, watches, everything you can think of. We spent about an hour just getting an idea of what all they had and then we headed to dinner. We had gotten an idea of a good “traditional Thai” restaurant, cause you all know how much I love Thai! We jumped into Tut tut’s which you should know what those are by now. Unfortunatly they took us to the wrong restaurant.

But being the adventures we are we thought we would give the restaurant a try. It seemed to be a New Zealand restaurant/steak house and so we were game. We had a few beers and I opted for the New Zealand beef served “Thai Style. I am thinking it will be a great way to jump into the Thai spirit and boy was I right. It was excellent!!! The only problem, it was so spicy! I scarfed down half of it cause I was starving and then my mouth was on fire. I couldn’t even talk for like 10 mins because my tongue was burning. It was intense. After dinner, it was Donavon’s birthday so we had asked the staff if there was anything they could bring out and we would sing to them. Instead of just anything, they told us that we could flam-bay. So they bring out the burners, and they let us do all the work. It was so much fun catching things on fire, frying up some banana’s, and singing happy birthday and it too was delicious.

After that we headed back towards the hotel. Walked thru a few more night markets and food markets, and headed back for the night.

No comments: